Episode 55 :: Unconditional Self-acceptance
Unconditional Self-acceptance means that we fully and unconditionally accept ourselves regardless of our competence, and whether or not other people approve, respect, or love us.
With self-acceptance, if we mess up, we understand that we’ve messed up. That’s it. No unfavourable judgement. No feeling bad. Hence, no constant fluctuation in self-worth. We start to experience the world differently. If we don’t get what we want, we are still ok.
With unconditional self-acceptance, you are interested in learning from specific beliefs, behaviours and outcomes but your unique you-ness is never up for debate. You become the constant in your own life.
In this episode we explore what Unconditional Self-acceptance looks like, it’s many benefits and importantly: how to begin to cultivate it!
If you’d like to learn more about self-acceptance with a smaller investment of time and money, some of the best books on the topic include:
- The Gift of Imperfection by Brené Brown
- Radical Acceptance: Awakening the Love That Heals Fear and Shame by Tara Brach
- How to Be an Imperfectionist: The New Way to Self-Acceptance, Fearless Living, and Freedom from Perfectionism by Stephen Guise
- Self-Acceptance: The Key to Recovery from Mental Illness by Victor Ashear and Vanessa Hastings
- Beautiful You: A Daily Guide to Radical Self-Acceptance by Rosie Molinary
- The Self-Acceptance Project: How to be Kind and Compassionate Toward Yourself in Any Situation by Tami Simon
- 50 Mindful Steps to Self-Esteem: Everyday Practices for Cultivating Self-Acceptance and Self-Compassion by Janetti Marotta
Episode image credit:
Hello, I'm Sas Petherick. I'm a self-doubt researcher, coach and podcaster who helps thinking humans transcend self-doubt. If you'd like to receive episodes in your inbox please subscribe here (with bonus info and first notice of opportunities to work with me). PS: I totally ♥ Instagram - join me there?