As you may know, New Zealand’s second largest city, Christchurch, was devastated by a 6.3 earthquake at lunchtime on Tuesday 22 February 2011. There have been at least 113 fatalities and over 200 people are still missing.
Kiwis out of Christchurch and people around the world want to know how they can help, and the answer’s short. With money. But we all want to feel like we’re doing more than just typing our credit card numbers into a box and clicking submit. So we thought we’d go for a run. Wearing red and black (the local colours), to show the people of Canterbury we love them. And we’d like you to join us for a virtual run. Wherever you are.
If you’d like to participate, just follow these easy steps:
- make a donation on the fundraising page – all proceeds will go to the New Zealand Red Cross
- follow the team on Twitter and Facebook
- tell the world you’re in! Share the love on Twitter, Facebook, your blog, whatever! Use the #run4chch hashtag.
- on the 12th or 13th of March, pop your red and black on, and hit the streets, or the pavements, or the trails, or wherever it is you run/walk/jog/stagger.
- then send a link to your race report, and we’ll post it on the official site.
*For anyone in London: I am organising a 5km group fun run through Richmond Park on Sunday 13th of March at 10am*
Stay tuned for more details!